2013 Competition: Green Solutions for the Operating Room
This contest is designed to facilitate discourse between students, residents and perioperative faculty and staff about ideas that demonstrate environmental responsibility in the operating room through reduction of energy use, preservation of natural resources and/or effective waste management. DEADLINE IS AUGUST 4th, 2013.
Contest Description: To enroll in this contest, please submit an innovative solution that has been or can be implemented in the operating room to protect, restore, and/or preserve the environment. Your idea can incorporate one or more of the following: energy efficiency, pollution prevention, preservation of natural resources and/or waste management. This idea can be in the form of a proposal (has not yet been implemented) or a summary of a project that has already been initiated. Entries will be judged on originality, feasibility and potential impact.
Prizes: Recognition, two $200 monetary prizes and a complimentary registration to the 2013 AWS Conference will be awarded to the top two submissions. The first place submission will also receive free admission to the Greening the OR® workshop at the 2014 Practice Greenhealth CleanMed Conference (www.cleanmed.org). Winning submissions will also be posted on the AWS Website if the submission is free of copyright restrictions.
Who can participate: The contest is open to all students, residents, physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals involved in the care of patients in the perioperative setting.
How to Enter: Gather your best ideas, prepare a document, and submit!
Please include the following sections in your submission:
· Title and Author(s) (including affiliations)
· Description of targeted problem
· Proposed solution: include information about general budget, personnel required, need for training if applicable, etc.)
· Anticipated outcome and method for measuring the outcome
· Figures and photos optional
· Please specify if the submission is free of copyright restrictions.
· Limit the entire submission to 500 words or less (excluding the title and authors).
· The file name should be your last name followed by your first name (i.e. “SmithJohn”).
· Save the file as a WORD document
· Submissions must be received no later than 5:00 PM EST Sunday, August 4, 2013.
Notification: Contest winners will be notified by September 1, 2013. All entries will be compiled and shared during the 2013 Association of Women’s Surgeons Annual Fall Conference in Washington DC on Sunday, October 6, 2013 (held prior to the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress).
Questions? Please do not hesitate to contact us at AWSgreenerORcontest@gmail.com.